Delicious & healthy fresh green spinach loaded with vitamins, iron & dietary fibre cooked & tossed with sweet corn, paneer & a few other flavourings to make a well- balanced vegetarian one pot rice meal. Ideal for busy days & a great way to mask spinach while cooking for kids.
If you prefer you can always add chicken stock to cook the rice to zest up the flavour.
Goes really well with Mixed vegetables in Paprika Sauce.
Original recipe idea courtesy-Your Food Lab
Recipe for Spinach & Corn Jade Rice
Ingredients (Serves 2-3 Persons)
For blanching Spinach:
- 150 gms or 1 big bunch spinach / palak, cleaned & washed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves or 1 handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter / oil for vegans
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes or as per your taste (optional)
- 1 cup Basmati rice, washed & soaked for 10 minutes
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- ½ cup frozen sweet corn, soaked in hot water
- 1 tablespoon dry mixed herbs (I have used oregano, basil, rosemary & thyme)
- 100 gms cottage cheese / paneer, cubed (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add well washed spinach leaves to 3 cups of already-boiling water along with 1 teaspoon sugar. Blanch for 2 minutes, drain and drop into cold water, to retain the vibrant green colour.
- Once cool, transfer the spinach to the blender, along with the mint & coriander leaves and 2 ice cubes. Grind to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat a saucepan, add butter & oil. Once melted, add chopped garlic & onion, also chilli flakes if using. Saute 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the spinach-mint puree and ¼ cup water & cook for 3-4 minutes on low-medium flame. Blend well to combine.
- Now add the paneer, blanched sweet corn, drained rice, coriander leaves, mixed dry herbs, salt & pepper to taste. Stir gently.
- Add 2 cups water & cook covered on low -medium heat without pressure for 5-7 minutes.
- Open the lid after 10-12 minutes, stir gently with a fork to check if rice is cooked through.
- Your Spinach rice is now ready to be enjoyed with mixed veggies in paprika sauce.