A wonderful main course vegetarian dish, these are beautiful assorted veggies tossed in a flavoursome garlic-paprika sauce that you can tweak the spice levels to your palate.
A dish that can also be served as a side or made into a one pot meal, simply by adding some penne or spaghetti pasta to it.
Requiring only a few basic ingredients & quick to cook, you can add any assorted veggies of your choice.
Non vegetarians can add diced chicken/ham & for those who are gluten-intolerant, you can replace whole wheat flour with coconut cream / coconut milk.
Original recipe idea courtesy-Your Food Lab
Recipe for Mixed Vegetables in Paprika Sauce
Ingredients (Serves 4 Persons)
For sautéed veggies:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 small onion, cubed
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ½ cup baby corn, julienned
- 1 baby carrot, cut in small cubes
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup mushrooms, halved (optional)
- 100 gm cottage cheese / tofu, cubed (optional)
- ¼ cup bell peppers, cubed
- Salt & pepper to taste
For making the sauce:
- 2 tbsp olive oil / butter
- 2.5 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 600ml milk
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder / paprika powder
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg powder
- Place a wok or heavy bottomed saucepan on high heat & add the oil.
- Once hot, lower the flame & add minced garlic and red chilli flakes, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add cubed onion, baby corn, broccoli & carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes on high flame.
- Now add the bell peppers, mushrooms, salt & pepper to taste, stir and cook again on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- The sautéed veggies are ready. Remove from heat & keep aside.
- To make the sauce, heat another sauce pan, add butter/olive oil and stir in the whole wheat flour on low heat, roasting for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk slowly, ensuring to stir continuously to avoid any lumps. Cook the sauce until it is thick and creamy.
- Now add the paprika or Kashmiri red chilli powder, salt to taste & a pinch of nutmeg powder.
- Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes, adding a little more milk if too thick.
- Now add the sautéed veggies and cook covered on a low flame for 2 minutes.
- Finally, add the tofu / cottage cheese if using and mix gently.
- Your delicious hot meal is ready, tastes best when served with Studded Vegetarian Jade Rice (recipe available on blog).