Proud of your super silky hummus & want to turn it into a wholesome dinner? Simply layer your hummus with some stir fried protein, be it the vegetarian/vegan way with tofu/assorted vegetables or the non vegetarian way with stir fried mince, this makes for a great super healthy, satiating & visually appealing meal any day of the week.
Chickpeas are easily available & very popular across the world for a variety of dishes ranging from the traditional Indian spiced chickpea curry to healthier options such as bhel, sandwiches, salads, soups, falafel & hummus. They contain protein, iron, carbohydrates, calcium, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, vitamin B complex & make for ideal gluten free & dairy free diets, when made into hummus or cooked without too much fat. Tiny little powerhouses of nutrition, these lovely yellow beads blended with few other ingredients, make for a a velvety smooth hummus- simply irresistible!
Featured here a sweet-spicy-smokey sweet roasted red pepper hummus, layered with stir fried mildly spiced lamb mince topped with a little tomato salsa to tingle your taste buds & oozing with the goodness of olive oil!
Served here with homemade pita bread!
Recipe for Epic Layered Hummus Meal
- Hummus (recipe available on the blog)
- 500 gms lamb mince / any meat of your choice
- 3 small onions, finely chopped (2 for cooking & 1 for garnish)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1inch ginger, minced (1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste will do)
- ½ green capsicum / bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2-3 small tomatoes, finely chopped (reserve 1 for garnish)
- 1 handful coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder/pepper powder
- Salt to taste
Procedure for the lamb mince stir fry
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy bottom pan / kadhai until hot.
- Add 2 chopped onions, green capsicum, ginger & garlic. Sauté over medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes or so, stirring continuously, until soft.
- Add the tomatoes & salt & stir for 2 minutes. Cook with a lid on medium flame for 3 minutes until the tomatoes are soft & mushy & oil begins to separate.
- Add the lamb mince and sauté until fully browned for about 5-7 mins or so.
- Add the spices & stir them in.
To assemble your meal:
- Spread a generous layer of smokey roasted red pepper hummus in a bowl or plate.
- Create swirls with the back of a spoon & generously drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top.
- Add a thick layer of the rich brown spiced meat.
- Add fresh chopped tomatoes, onions, coriander/cilantro leaves & any pumpkin seeds or nuts for added crunch.
- An optional squeeze of lime juice on top.
- Serve immediately with warm pita bread or pita chips.