The sudden rains this evening urged me to run into the kitchen to reach out for potatoes. The rain drops my window pane looked at me longingly, waiting for me to give in to them & so they’re entirely to blame for my sudden craving for something chatpata.
I made a popular Sindhi snack/starter, the Kurkure Aloo Tuk, for all the potato lovers out there. Delish crunchy baby potatoes deep fried to a golden crisp, lightly crushed and then tossed in a smattering of flavoursome spices. Simple yet utterly addictive & irresistible!
Don’t forget to steal a few pieces for yourself!
Also featured here are Papad Cones filled with a delightful tomato-onion-salsa. Khao piyo mauj manao!
Recipe for Aloo Tuk – Crispy Golden Fried Potato Bites
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 200 gms baby potatoes or 3 to 4 medium potatoes
- Oil to deep fry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves for garnish
Spice mix for coating:
- 1 teaspoon coriander-cumin powder (dhania-jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder or haldi
- ½ teaspoon dry mango/amchur powder
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Wash, peel and cut the baby potatoes in halves and soak in cold salt water for 10 mins. Now pat them thoroughly dry with a clean towel and deep fry in hot oil on a low-medium flame until golden and just done or when a fork goes through the piece easily.
- Remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon onto a dry plate and smash them gently with the back of a ladle or katori (small bowl) until just flattened.
- Now re-fry these potatoes a second time, but now in hot oil on a higher flame for just 3-4 minutes until crisp.
- Drain into a bowl, sprinkle with the tasty n tangy spice mix and toss until well coated.
- Arrange on a plate and garnish with some freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- A dash of lime juice will add some more tang to your pick-me-up potato bites.
- You could use either baby potatoes or medium sized regular potatoes for this recipe
- For the first fry, ensure a medium flame to allow the potatoes to cook well inside out until just done.
- Do not overcook until mushy.
- The second fry must be on high flame only once the oil is hot, as it is done purely to get the potatoes crispy and golden The spice mix can be pre made and stored in a bottle. Similarly the potatoes can be fried once & mashed ahead of time & kept aside. Reserve the second fry for the last minute once it is time to serve.