Superfood Soup Saturdays – Spinach Carrot n Potato Soup
Do you remember Popeye saying try rubbing a lil spinach on it to make it better? Well trust me, it truly works, ha ha!!
You must try making this super quick n easy vibrant winter detox soup, I assure you it will soon be one of your favourites!
Its slowly getting to be ideal weather for soup dinners and then you know with the festive season approaching, all its excesses, before and after, always calls for a delicious warm comforting detox dinner!
More so when it’s tasty, wholesome, high fibre, low fat & loaded with vitamin K, A & C, iron, folate, magnesium, protein & antioxidants. Superfood soup indeed!
Unlike most creamy spinach soups, I have allowed the potato, carrot and green gourd to lend their silky creaminess for a beautiful texture. Serve it with your favourite cheesy garlic bread or croutons and your perfect detox Saturday soup dinner is ready!
And before I forget, do write in to tell me what kind of food you would like to see more of. Would love to hear from you
Souper Saturday to you!
Recipe for Spinach Carrot n Potato Soup
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 200 gms spinach, stalks removed and washed well
- 5-6 cloves garlic lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 medium size potato, washed, peeled & finely chopped
- ½ carrot washed, peeled and finely chopped
- 100 gms bottle gourd, washed, peeled and finely chopped
- 4-5 crushed peppercorns
- 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil / butter
- 5-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon mixed herbs
- First, place 200 ml water to boil in a saucepan. Once it starts boiling, add in the washed spinach and blanch for 2 mins, adding a spoon of sugar to retain the colour, while mixing continuously.
- Now drain the water and keep aside for your stock. Dunk the blanched spinach instantly into some cold water for 1 minute to ensure the spinach does not overcook and then leave to drain in a colander.
- Place the chopped potato, carrot and bottle gourd to boil in a saucepan with ½ tsp salt, 4-5 cloves of garlic & peppercorns until fully cooked. Drain and keep the water aside as vegetable stock.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the drained spinach and blend with a little bit of stock to make a smooth fine puree.
- In a medium sized saucepan / kadhai, heat the olive oil until medium hot, and sauté the onions, celery & chopped garlic until translucent. Now add the pureed vegetables & vegetable stock and simmer on low heat for 2 minutes. Season with freshly ground pepper, mixed herbs and salt as required.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with cream / herbs / chilli flakes as desired. Serve with your favourite garlic bread/cheesy garlic bread or toast. Your delicious vibrant superfood soup is ready!
- Blanching the spinach just enough is an important aspect of this recipe to get the right colour. Overcooked spinach turns black & looks unappetizing. Follow the above given instructions to get a lovely green shade.
- You can always use chicken stock to make this recipe if you prefer.
- Skip the celery if its not easy to source and replace with your favourite herbs.
- Add a swirl of cream in each bowl just before serving for a rich, creamier taste.
Blanching of Spinach
4 thoughts on “Spinach Carrot n Potato Soup”
Spinach Carrot n Potato Soup looks yummy, I will certainly try.
Love to receive different kinds of soups especially chicken soup, as winter is nearing,
Thank you for writing in Gracy and my apologies for the delay in replying! Would certainly love to share more exciting soup recipes as we go along, they make ideal light winter dinners! Do keep sharing your valuable suggestions & feedback with me again soon!
Sounds so good, especially on a cold winter’s night.