A total crowd pleaser, an easy peasy one pot that’s loaded with the flavour of fresh light aromatics like garlic, onion, celery, spring onions & herbs such as fresh dill or oregano to elevate the creamy sauce & coat the juicy chicken pieces, giving it a super fancy feel.
Add a dash of white wine for a special evening with your loved ones or do a melted top parmesan-cheddar cheese for your children. Add your favourite cooked al dente penne to the sauce right at the end, should you want to complete the meal with carbs.
Any one pot can always be tweaked to add the protein you prefer or that is easily available in your home such as tofu/paneer/salmon/ham or lamb.
For a dairy free option, completely skip out the cream, replacing it with a rich stock.
I paired it with a fresh salad comprising iceberg lettuce, tomato, cucumber.
Recipe for Creamy Chicken n’ Mushroom One Pot
Ingredients (Serves 4 persons)
For the chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ cup all purpose flour to coat/corn flour for gluten free option
- 1 tablespoon butter/oil to sauté
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter/olive oil for dairy free option
- 1 large onion, cut in ½ inch cubes
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 200 gms mushrooms, halved
- 200 gms tofu, cubed
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 handful spring onions, chopped
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 200 ml heavy cream
- Pepper powder to taste
- Chilli flakes to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped dill leaves/oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried herbs of your choice
- ¼ cup Parmesan & ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (optional)
- Take one breast &sprinkle each side with salt and pepper, then coat well with flour to spread it evenly on both sides. Repeat with all pieces.
- Melt half the butter in a large non-stick frying pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chicken and cook each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and just cooked. Remove from the pan. Cover and keep warm.
- In the same frying pan, add the remaining butter and add the onions & half the minced garlic.
- Once translucent, add the sliced carrots & bell pepper & sauté for a minute.
- Add the mushrooms, tofu, salt, pepper, dried herbs & chilli flakes & cook for 2-3 minutes, until starting to turn golden.
- Optional: If adding wine, do so now, allowing it to bubble.
- Cook for 30 seconds, scraping the bottom of the pan, until wine is mostly evaporated and the alcohol smell is gone.
- Add the stock & stir it vigorously for 1 minute until it starts to thicken.
- Add half the cream, lowering the heat & simmer for 2 minutes until it reduces and thickens slightly.
- Check for salt and pepper. Add the spring onions & grated cheese.
- Return the chicken breasts to the pan to coat well in the sauce, allowing them to warm through slightly. Add a little milk /water/stock if too thick.
- Garnish with leftover spring onions and serve.
- Pairs really well with creamy mashed potatoes or cauliflower.
- You could also cook your favourite pasta shape al dente in salted boiling water & add to the pan in the end.
- Alternately, serve with soft dinner rolls & herb butter.
Making of Creamy Chicken n’ Mushroom