Hope you have all been having a restful week at home, catching up with your loved ones & writing that email to your friend/ elderly aunt which you have been putting off for ages.
I too have been enjoying myself spending quality time with my folks after a year, something I have been longing for. My kids were actually doing a countdown, ticking the dates off on the calendar for a month before they actually arrived, praying ardently that the pandemic did not play spoilsport at the nth hour! If there one thing that this year has taught us, it is the value of close family & dear friends & neighbours who have been there for you through thick & thin during these trying times, offering you a comforting word or sending warm soup/ food when no one else could.
The other vital aspect that this year has brought to the forefront is:
- Mindful, conscious eating to include more whole grains, pulses, nuts, fruits, vegetables & cut out processed food as far possible
- A balanced diet ensuring all essential nutrients- without cutting out or overdoing any one of them
- Eating fresh seasonal locally grown produce without preservatives & additives
- Giving yourself a treat every now & then, be it food or other, so that there are no over-the-top cravings or low feelings
- Regular exercise for your body & mind in whichever way you enjoy most, avoiding popular fads
- Conscious time off social media, be it to read, spend time in nature, listen to music or meditate & blank out your mind.
As a token of my commitment to all of the above, I made time for a whole day out & a short brisk walk with my folks, shut off my mobile for the past 24 hours & made a fresh ABC juice as well as some seasonal fresh green pea hummus with light biscuits & veggie sticks for dinner. It is amazing how light we felt after the meal, knowing fully well that the meal provided complete essential nourishment in terms of protein, vitamins, carbohydrates, minerals, fat & fibre, having a good night’s sleep.
While I promise to share the juice recipe with you sometime soon, it’s the colourful dinner table & recipe of the Green pea hummus that I am happy to share with you today. Do hope this post resonates with some of you too & let us resolve to start the New Year on this auspicious note!
Recipe for Green Peas Hummus
Ingredients: (Serves 8 persons)
- ½ cup fresh green peas (or frozen)
- 200 gms chickpeas / kabuli chana
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, with skin
- 3 tablespoons white sesame seeds, lightly roasted (not bitter)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- Juice of 1 whole lemon
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil / or more if you like!
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 teaspoons olive oil for sauté
- 4-6 ice cubes
- Soak 200 gms of chickpeas overnight/8 hours in double the quantity of water. Drain the water & wash well.
- Pressure cook the chickpeas with ½ teaspoon salt & water about 1 inch above the level of the chickpeas. About 5-7 whistles, until they are totally soft & mushy and the skin separates easily.
- You can use canned chickpeas as well, drained & rinsed.
- When slightly cooled & possible to handle, drain the chickpeas & save the liquid.
- Remove their skins for the creamiest hummus ever. This is an optional step & very easy to do while still warm.
- Heat a small pan & add 1.5 teaspoons of oil, preferably olive oil/gingelly, else any other.
- Add in the garlic cloves with skin & sauté on medium-high heat for 2 minutes until well roasted.
- Add the green peas, ¼ teaspoon salt & sauté on medium heat for a minute. Cover with lid and cook for 2 – 3 minutes until soft.
- Take off from heat and allow it to cool.
- In the large jar of the food processor, add the peas, garlic, chilli flakes, sesame seeds, salt, lemon juice & 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Run the food processor for about 1 minute until all combines well.
- Add the drained chickpeas with 2 tablespoons of reserved liquid & 1 ice cube. Run it again for about 3 minutes & check for spice & salt levels.
- Now add 3 ice cubes & run it for another 3-4 minutes until you reach the desired creamy paste consistency.
- When ready to serve, top your hummus with two more tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and a few white & black sesame seeds for flavour.
- Add a pinch of chilli powder for garnish, if you like.
- Serve with warm pita bread and sliced veggies for dipping! Enjoy!
- For a super smooth hummus, peel the chickpeas, else retain them for a more rustic texture.
- Try it both ways & see the difference in creaminess for yourself.
- Ice cubes are the secret ingredient during the making of the best textured hummus.
- Readymade tahini paste & canned chickpeas can also be used to make hummus.
- Most importantly, ensure to make your hummus at least 1 hour before serving. Cover & chill it in the refrigerator.
- Before serving, create a few swirls with the back of a spoon & drizzle some olive oil over it.
Making of Green Peas Hummus