Trust this first blogpost in May finds you all in good health, tucked safely indoors, going out only if necessary while taking all the necessary precautions. For those of you feeling under the weather or unwell, remember the world stands by you in thought and prayer as we as a global community fight this dreadful virus united and strong.
This hot n summery month, I will try to showcase some simple and tasty recipes that will allow you to prep n cook quickly and yet put up a delicious meal or sweet treat for the family.
It is summer vacation time for a lot of children and no matter how much food you put out there, these permanent members of the Hungry Club Inc are always looking for something nice to eat. Believe it or not, barely has the poor Mom finished washing up & putting away the dishes and she finds her little one sneaking around in the tuck n treats cupboard with her/his hand in the Oreos/nuts or crisps!
I begin this month with an egg preparation closest to my heart! This is probably the first egg dish I ever tasted and loved as a fussy eater-child myself. Just to ensure the protein went in, (cause’ I hated the odour and taste of eggs), my mom devised this brilliant way of masking the taste with a fried potato roesti. How could I refuse when the end result was so appetizing as well as pleasing to the eyes?
There you have it, a simple eye-catching one pot meal loved by kids and adults alike. Eggs In A Nest– a delicious golden fried crispy potato roesti topped with plenty of protein-rich eggs, garnished with pretty red ripe tomatoes, freshly chopped coriander, chilli flakes and cheese! A complete balanced meal in itself. Have it as Sunday breakfast with hot buttered toast, a side dish for brunch or just as a one pot meal.
How can it get simpler to please your hungry family quicker and easier than this?
Recipe for Eggs in a Nest – Delicious One Pot Meal
Ingredients (Serves 4 Persons)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled & grated raw
- 4-8 large eggs or as required
- 100 gms cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- 2 small tomatoes, finely chopped
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 green chilli / red chilli flakes (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons oil for shallow frying
- Medium size frying pan
- Take 6 medium size potatoes. Wash thoroughly and peel them.
- Using the thick side of the grater, grate them all and squeeze out all the excess water by hand until you get a dry mass.
- To the potato mixture, add pepper powder & salt to taste. Also add in 2 eggs and using a fork, blend it all in evenly to combine.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a frying pan on a medium flame. Gently add the entire potato-egg mixture to the pan & use a flat spatula/spoon to flatten it out like a ½ inch thick cake.
- Garnish with 2-3 tbsp of grated cheese, chilli flakes or green chilli, 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves & cover to cook for 2-3 minutes on low-medium flame. A high flame will cause the base to burn.
- Open the lid & break 4-8 eggs in the centre of your potato mixture.
- Spoon in finely chopped tomatoes along the sides of the pan in a circle.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, grated cheese and 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and cover to cook once again for 3-4 minutes on a medium flame.
- Allow the potato mixture to get nicely browned and cooked without burning using a medium flame all through.
- Once the eggs are cooked, gently lift up the bottom of the nest with a spatula to check if it has cooked through.
- Gently ease out your pretty Nest full of Eggs onto a flat serving dish or a plate & garnish with grated cheese while still hot. Eat immediately while still hot to prevent it from getting soggy.
2 thoughts on “Eggs in a Nest – Delicious One Pot Meal”
Creative! Colorful and easy.
LikeLiked by 1 person