This delightful, super delicious & lip-smacking quintessential go-to snack is found at most street corners in Mumbai and is a must-try one! Getting caught in Mumbai rains at odd times with hunger cramps, and having that heavenly smell of buttery grilled / toasted veggie chutney sandwich is sure to make anyone drool!
Being a die-hard Mumbai girl as well as a total street food fan during college years in South Bombay, it was absolutely essential to know how to make this simple sandwich. Especially since it has easy, make-ahead ingredients and also a divine green mint chutney that breathes life and flavour (fire if you wish) into it!
So there you have it, a sassy sandwich with a filling of sliced boiled potatoes, a spicy tangy mint chutney, crunchy sliced assorted veggies and then the finale with a grand sprinkle of a secret spice mix, with a lot of flair & drama, of which our street side vendor always refused to divulge the ingredients.
If you prefer a cheesy sandwich, you can opt for a generous dose of grated cheese and then the sandwich is toasted / grilled in butter in these unique conical hand-held toasters on quaint little kerosene fuelled stoves, while you are waiting for what seems like forever.
Anyway, the end product was this golden buttery grilled veg sandwich, cut into 4 bite sized pieces of heaven, then smothered generously on top with more green chutney and another dollop of butter & swirls of pink pumpkin tomato sauce- Ooo la la!!
Try this sandwich with tons of sass in your home soon, it is sure to fill your tummy & delight you with its lovely bursts of flavoursome spices & crunchy buttery goodness!
Enjoyed making these sandwiches and writing this post so much as it brought back so many good old memories. Until then I’m gonna get my own…
Recipe for Sassy Bombay Masala Grilled Sandwich
Ingredients for the Sandwich (Serves 4 persons)
- 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 potatoes, boiled peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- Green mint & coriander chutney (recipe provided)
- Butter, regular/unsalted/vegan/dairy free
- 8 slices of bread, white/multigrain/whole wheat
- Salt to taste
- Pepper powder
- Chaat masala powder (optional)
- 1 bowl sev/deep fried snack made of fine strands of gram flour (optional for garnish)
- 1 bowl fresh pomegranate, cleaned (optional for garnish) Tomato ketchup (optional to serve)
Procedure for making the Sandwich
Follow these steps to layer your sandwich or watch the video provided below:
- Apply butter & green chutney evenly on one side of all of the 8 bread slices.
- Take 4 of these bread slices and place them chutney side up. On each of these:
- Place 4 cucumber slices.
- Place 4 tomato slices.
- Then place 4 boiled potato slices.
- Sprinkle some salt (regular/black salt), pepper powder & optional chaat masala powder.
- Place 2 onion slices & cover each sandwich with the remaining 4 bread slices.
- Apply some butter on top of the bread slice that will go onto the pan.
- Place the sandwich onto a preheated grill pan/frying pan. Add a small knob of butter to the pan & allow it to coat evenly.
- Toast the sandwiches till crisp and golden on one side, pressing down with your spatula & then flip carefully to repeat on the other side.
- Remove onto a plate and spread some more chutney on top of the sandwiches. Spreading butter is an optional step.
- Serve your sumptuous Mumbai masala toast sandwiches hot with tomato ketchup or with some sev & pomegranate.
- For those who enjoy an additional dash of spice, add an extra dollop of green mint chutney onto your hot grilled sandwich!
Ingredients for Green Chutney
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup washed fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 green chilly, roughly chopped (or as per taste)
- ½ inch ginger, cleaned
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Juice of ½ a lime
Procedure for making Green Chutney
- Add all of the ingredients to your mixer grinder jar & grind with 2 teaspoons of water. Clean the insides of the mixie jar & repeat till you get a smooth paste.
- Remove the chutney into a bowl & check for more salt if required. Cover and refrigerate immediately to avoid the chutney from darkening when exposed to air.
The same recipe can be made healthy by using vegan butter and gluten free bread.
Making of the Sandwich