Infuse some cheer, colour & loads of essential nutrients into your manic Mondays with these vegan beetroot & oat cutlets!
Beetroots provide some impressive health benefits being low calorie, high fibre vegetables that are a great source of folate, iron, vitamin C & potassium. Improving blood circulation, immunity as well as balancing blood pressure are said to be few of their wonder benefits.
As I chanced upon some beautifully fresh beets yesterday, thought i would brighten the day with these colourful cutlets for you to try out with your family.
These vegan cutlets made with beetroot, sweet potato, oats & spices are a great opportunity to finish off the cooked rice that’s leftover in your refrigerator!
Contrary to popular perception, this recipe makes cutlets that are non-sweet & crispy, spicy & tangy, or just as your family would like them. And do trust me when I say the adults will enjoy them as much as your kids will!
Always laugh reminiscing how I would get my son to eat his beetroot as a lil guy all of three years, wanting to be strong & tough by saying this lovely red vegetable would make his blood redder & stronger & make his cheeks rosy! How quickly it would get polished off his plate!
P.S. Don’t miss the beautiful home grown Swiss Chard leaves brought over by good friends, that lend so much more vibrancy to the frame!
So here’s to rosy cheeks & an UPBEET Monday evening!
Recipe for Bright Beet & Oats Cutlets
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 beetroots(200gms) peeled & grated (medium fine)
- 1 sweet potato(100gms), boiled & peeled
- 1 cup oats, lightly roasted and coarsely ground in mixie
- 1 cup cooked rice, completely cooled
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped(deseeded if using for kids)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- ½ teaspoon pepper powder/red chilli powder as per your taste
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup corn flour
- ½ cup fine semolina
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Oil for shallow frying
- Take all of the raw grated beetroot in a large bowl and taking a little bit at a time, press between your palms to gently squeeze out some of beetroot juice. Keep aside to use in your parathas, dosas, pancakes & soups to add a delightful pink colour.
- In a large pot, add all of the above ingredients mentioned above, up to the corn flour and mix them well with your hands until soft & well mashed as one whole for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the salt as per your taste and mix it in as well.
- Grease your palms with a teaspoon of oil. Divide your beetroot mixture into small balls of equal size and then lightly pressing them down, shape them into medium size round cutlets with your fingers.
- Take some corn flour in a plate & some fine semolina in another plate.
- Dip each cutlet by turn on both sides, first in the corn flour & then in the semolina for great crunchiness and keep aside.
- Heat about 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a shallow nonstick frying pan.
- Add 3-4 cutlets at a time & shallow fry them on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side till you get a golden brown colour.
- Serve hot with your favourite green mint chutney or tomato ketchup as a tea time snack
- Add ½ cup grated cheese and / or 1 grated carrot (optional) for great flavour to entice your kids.
- Corn flour & oats will help to bind the mixture better.
- Salt is added at the end to prevent the mixture from letting out more water.
- Semolina helps add a great crunch to your cutlets. You can substitute it with bread crumbs if you do not have semolina available easily.
- Shallow frying on medium flame helps your cutlets cook evenly both inside & out.
- Spice quantities and lemon juice can be adjusted to suit your family’s taste.
- These beetroot cutlets make for great healthy patties at your next homemade burger meal with slices of tomato, cucumber & onion, in between burger buns!