Here’s an awesome authentic finger licking, coastal raw mango curry, a delightful combination of hot, hearty, super flavourful curry with unripe tart green mangoes & just a hint of jaggery for that beautiful balance.
Spicy, tangy, sweet & saucy curry, all-in-one! The perfect way to drive the monsoon chills away. Comfort food all the way!! One of the only coconut curries we ate as children, thanks to its super fine texture & sweet n sour flavour.
Raw mangoes are excellent immunity boosters, rich in anti-oxidants, vitamin C, A, B6, E and K, a vital source of calcium, iron and magnesium that help detox our liver. They also provide excellent dietary fibre, thereby making them the no.1 remedy for common tummy problems in summer such as acidity & indigestion. Also said to be beneficial for skin, dental & hair health amongst many others.
Recipe for Konkani Kairi Ghashhi – Sweet Tangy Raw Mango Curry
Ingredients (Serves 4 Persons)
To be boiled together
- 200 grams sour raw mangoes / keri, long slices or cubed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 150gms brown jaggery / gud
- 2 cups water
To be roasted in 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 teaspoons split black gram dal / urad dal
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds / methi seeds
- 4-6 byadgi or Kashmiri red chillies, deseeded & broken
- 1 ½ teaspoons whole coriander seeds / dhania seeds
- 2 teaspoons raw rice grains
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small coconut, grated
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder / haldi powder
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 garlic cloves with skin, crushed OR ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds and 5-6 curry leaves
- Wash & peel raw green mangoes. Cut into thick long slices as shown in picture.
- Boil raw mango pieces in a saucepan with salt, jaggery and 2 cups water until slightly soft, not mushy.
- In a small kadhai, heat 1 teaspoon oil and add the following in this order, namely, fenugreek seeds, urad dal, coriander seeds, broken red chillies & raw rice grains. Roast on low- medium flame for 2 minutes until it lets off an aroma.
- Add the grated coconut, turmeric powder & mix once. Add 3tbsp water & switch off the flame. Keep covered for 5 minutes.
- Once slightly cool, grind together coconut gratings and fried ingredients into a smooth fine paste.
- Pour the coconut paste into the raw mango mixture, mix together, add a few cups of water to form a thick gravy and bring it to a boil.
- Heat oil in a frying ladle, prepare a seasoning with mustard seeds and curry leaves or 4-5 cloves garlic and add it to the dish.
- Serve piping hot with plain steamed rice and a dollop of ghee!