Feels great to be here writing here to you today.
Sharing a beautiful cake recipe to remind you just how much you are valued, my friends, from my age-old Good Housekeeping book.
Loads of cheerful bright, fresh pulpy orange juice & orange zest, golden yellow honey & gorgeous, browned butter, all infused into a light basic cake batter. The little bits of fresh ginger only adding tons of more zing to it!
My Sheroes, just wanted you to know that we are all in this together, going through phases of self-doubt, self-worth & feeling down-in-the-dumps. Often times asking ourselves if all of this is really worth it. But then there always comes the sun, rising & shining after a dark night, bringing its fair share of bright sunny days.
I have come to realise over the years, that a lot of times we find ourselves unable to share our deepest, darkest corners with anyone at all, yet, knowing that holding all of it in, brings its own share of woes and ill health. Nothing can really ever remain buried; it just comes out later in uglier forms. The negative self-talk & ‘monkeys chattering in the head’ only make it worse. Then there comes a turning point where you realise that you CAN & must help yourself, simply by first learning to and then loving yourself. Self-love is the name of the game.
That’s when I learnt to draw boundaries, Do you really need to keep everyone around you happy? Is it even truly possible? Help yourselves, read about self-love, call a friend, seek help and don’t bother about the so-called shame associated.
You may have been knocked down and broken several times before, but you never ran away. You always found a way to get back up, a true, unbreakable warrior! Never choosing victimhood. The real friends will always stand by you and the others were never really yours to begin with. All sent to you with a few smiley sunflowers to brighten up your day, reminding you that you’re a Firework, lighting up the world JUST THE WAY YOU ARE!!
With tons of love,
The Culinary Konnoisseur
Recipe for Orange Ginger Brown Butter Cake
Ingredients (Serves 4-6 Persons)
- 250gms all-purpose flour / maida
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger powder / sonth
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (without the inside bitter white pith)
- 1 tablespoon candied orange peel (optional)
- 8 tablespoons butter, browned (see notes)
- 270gms honey
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 125 ml whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 50gms refined sugar
- Aluminium foil to cover the cakes midway
- Fresh cream or ice cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease 2 cupcake tins or 2 mini loaf pans with butter/oil.
- In a medium bowl, hand whisk together dry ingredients namely flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger powder & chopped ginger along with orange zest.
- To brown your butter, place it in a heavy bottom saucepan on medium heat. Stir continuously until butter is melted & then on low heat, until butter is foamy and just turning light brown in colour without burning (watch the video once to see brown butter colour).
- Pour this brown butter into another bowl.
- Add honey, orange juice, milk, sugar, and slightly beaten eggs.
- Mix using an electric hand beater until smooth.
- Now spoon in the flour mixture until a cake batter is formed. While folding in gently, remember to scrape the sides and bottom to incorporate all ingredients smoothly, to prevent flour pockets.
- Divide batter amongst the pans/cupcake tins.
- Place the tins on a cookie tray & bake for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Covering the pans with some aluminium foil halfway through baking in this recipe, helps retain moisture inside, thus preventing them from drying out.
- Allow the pans to completely cool before removing the cakes.
- Enjoy with fresh cream or ice cream, we didn’t have any cakes left by the time we thought of it!
Video for Orange Ginger Brown Butter Cake