Lettuce wraps make for one of the most fun filled family dinners, a visual delight that’s healthy & light to boot! It’s the weekend & a lot of you are now looking for new ideas of what to cook, tired of the same old lockdown recipes.
Add your favourite stir fry recipe to these super crunchy light leaves & add a bit of rice if you prefer something more filling.
I made a stir fry Veggie one with Paneer, zucchini, fresh cucumbers & mushrooms stir fried in a light n sweet sour tangy sauce. When well prepared, sweet sour dishes are so delicately balanced without being over the top sweet, that its truly difficult to decide whether its sweet or sour.
Check out the detailed video below for this exciting recipe and don’t forget to write and let me know how it turned out!
Recipe for Crunchy Lettuce Wrap Meal – Sweet n Sour Cottage Cheese / Tofu
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce / two large leaves per head
- 200 gms paneer/cottage cheese or tofu
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, cut in ½ inch cubes
- 200 gms button mushrooms, halved
- 1 small yellow zucchini, cut in ½ inch cubes
- 1 small English cucumber, cut in ½ inch cubes
- 1 handful spring onions, finely chopped for garnish
- Oil for deep frying (optional see notes)
For the paneer marinade
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon schezuan /chilli sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornflour mixed with 4 tbsp water for slurry
For the sauce
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour mixed with 2 tablespoons water to form a paste
- Wash the lettuce leaves well & leave them to soak in ice cold water for 15 minutes to perk them up.
- Marinate the paneer in the soy sauce, pepper, chilli sauce & oil & for about 15 minutes and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok for deep frying & keep your egg-cornflour slurry ready.
- Once the oil is smoking hot, dip the paneer pieces in the slurry evenly all over & deep fry 4-5 pieces at a time in the hot oil, ensuring both sides are golden & well cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon & leave them to drain on a kitchen paper towel.
- Get the ingredients ready for the sauce mixture in a small bowl & mix them thoroughly.
- Remove the lettuce leaves from the water & leave them to drip dry on a kitchen towel/pat dry.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or heavy bottom kadhai & once hot, add the onion, ginger garlic & stir fry on high heat for 2 minutes until translucent.
- Add the yellow pepper, zucchini & cucumber & saute on high heat for another 2 mins until slightly soft.
- Add the mushrooms & pepper powder& stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the mixed sauces & stir it in.
- Add the paneer cubes & stir continuously to combine & blend it all in, on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup water & the cornflour slurry & cook stirring continuously on medium heat for another minute until the sauce thickens & coat the paneer & vegetables evenly.
- Remove from heat & pour into a bowl. Garnish with spring onion leaves.
- Place two dry lettuce leaves on top of one another in a plate & spoon the mixture onto the leaves.
- Serve immediately or enjoy with a side of plain hot steamed rice.
- For a low-fat recipe, the same dish can be made without batter frying the paneer / tofu. Marinate & cook it directly.
- Those with dairy-free diets / vegan can use tofu.
Making of Crunchy Lettuce Wrap Meal – Sweet n Sour Cottage Cheese / Tofu